At about 9 AM on Friday, I returned to Sapsucker Woods and met up with
Miyoko Chu, Pat Leonard, Gus Axelson, Greg Delisle, and Betsy Hutchings on
the trail.  The Wilson Trail had only a fraction of the activity that Anne
and I witnessed earlier, but our late group did see a nice assortment of
male warblers, including WILSON'S, MAGNOLIA, BLACK-THROATED GREEN,
CHESTNUT-SIDED and BLACKBURNIAN, plus an adult male ORCHARD ORIOLE (in the
flowering tree by the footbridge over the outlet stream - somehow the first
adult of this species I've ever seen in Sapsucker Woods).  I also saw a
SWAINSON'S THRUSH just north of the Sherwood Platform.

Toward the end of our circuit, Scott Haber arrived and told us that Kevin
McGowan had found a female GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER at the Podell Boardwalk,
then saw it fly south.  I parted with Miyoko and the others, then went
looking for this bird.  I didn't find it.  (Jay McGowan also searched for a
while in vain.)   My consolation prize was another fine mixed flock of
warblers along the Woodleton Boardwalk, including a splendid male
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER at eye level in a hemlock three meters away, at least
four male BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLERS, and both male and female NORTHERN
PARULA.

The total warbler species tally so far today for Sapsucker Woods is 22, to
my knowledge.  Here is the list with some numbers and credits.

Tennessee (Laurie Ray, Jay, Brad, and Livia)

Nashville

Blue-winged (Laurie)

GOLDEN-WINGED (Kevin)

Chestnut-sided 7+

Northern Parula 6+

Yellow

Palm (3+ for me, I believe many more for others)

Cape May (1 for me, several for others)

Magnolia 9+

Yellow-rumped 60+

Black-throated Green 11+

Blackburnian 11+ (about 10 males throughout, plus one female in the
Woodleton flock)

Bay-breasted (1+ for me, I think a few for Jay, Brad, and Livia)

Black-throated Blue (5+, all males)

Black-and-white 5+ (3+ singing, plus two females)

American Redstart 6+

Northern Waterthrush 5+ (one apparent migrant near Sherwood Platform, others
likely breeders along Woodleton)

Common Yellowthroat 3+

Ovenbird 4+

Wilson's (1 for me and others; Dave LoParco saw two)

Canada (1+ singing at bend in Wilson Trail North, past second footbridge;
seen briefly by me, but mostly uncooperative for viewing)

Jay, Brad, and Livia also saw a couple of PHILADELPHIA VIREOS, six male
Scarlet Tanagers together near the ground plus one female who permitted Jay
to approach within an arm's length, and surely other amazing sights.

I suspect that most of these birds are still around in the sanctuary, but in
the quiet heat of day, finding them will require luck and fast movement to
maximize coverage.  I would advise that if it seems quiet, keep moving until
you find a concentration of birds.

Mark Chao

PS.  Sorry for the misplaced parentheses in my earlier message.  I was a
little tired, rushed, and overstimulated.

---
is active.