I've seen White-Breasted Nuthatches do the same sort of thing at a platform
feeder of mine (throughout the year, not just spring), a very dramatic
wingspread that I always took to be a threat display, as it seems to do it
when others come near the seed the nuthatch is eating from. I've always
wanted to photograph it but of course it happens infrequently and
unexpectedly! It's a dazzling display.
Would be interested to hear what others think.
Melissa

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Karen Edelstein <k...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Yesterday, in the midst of a flurry of activity at the feeder, with visits
> from a large flock of goldfinches, several male indigo buntings,
> rose-breasted grosbeaks, Baltimore orioles, and several woodpeckers, I
> observed a new behavior in a white-breasted nuthatch. The nuthatch was at
> the tube feeder, and suddenly spread its wings and rotated its entire body
> about 120 degrees like a pendulum. It then swung upright, and did the same
> maneuver in the opposite direction, wings widespread. Mating displays of
> birds of paradise came to mind immediately. This was the only nuthatch in
> the near vicinity. Thoughts on what was going on?

> Subscribe, Configuration and
> Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail