Almost everything about today's Finger Lakes Land Trust Spring Bird Quest
(SBQ) group walk met or exceeded my highest hopes - warm sunshine, still
winds, 25+ spirited supporters in attendance, and the usual bird specialties
about as cooperative as I've ever found them.  We even had one long-coveted
but still surprising addition to my SBQ life list.  I am pleased to present
this full report.

Lindsay-Parsons Biodiversity Preserve

Routes 34 and 96, West Danby

6:10 - 10:45 AM

65 species, including YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO,
PRAIRIE WARBLER, MAGNOLIA WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, BLACKPOLL
WARBLER, BLACK-AND WHITE WARBLER, BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, HOODED WARBLER,
CANADA WARBLER, MOURNING WARBLER, and BROWN THRASHER

I began the morning with Jody Enck on the west side of Routes 34 and 96 at
the Land Trust's wooded pond by the fire station.  Through the dissipating
fog, we saw at least three GREAT BLUE HERON nests looming in distant dead
trees, each with a hunchbacked parent sitting low and barely visible above
the lip of sticks.  Here we heard a GREEN HERON (Jody saw it fly in and
out), and also the weekend's first HOODED MERGANSERS.

My intentions for a longer vigil over the snags and still waters were soon
foiled by songbird commotion in neighboring hedgerows.  We sifted through
quite an impressive assortment just between the fire station and the road
leading up to the water tower - two MOURNING WARBLERS, HOODED WARBLER,
BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, MAGNOLIA WARBLER,
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, OVENBIRD, a pair of YELLOW
WARBLERS, and a singer that put me on high alert for a Cape May (alas,
unconfirmed and uncounted).  The Mourning Warblers were very close, but
defied our patient attempts to get a good view.  My best glimpse revealed
the whole bird for a split second, from full gray hood to to yellow
underside to pink legs, but left me feeling my glass about three-quarters
empty.

But I got fired up again in a hurry at the sight of our group, all tucked in
and ready to roll at 8 AM.  (I admit to sometimes feeling just a bit dorky
when I tuck my pant legs into tall white socks for tick suppression at this
preserve.  If you have the same problem, you should really try joining two
dozen others who are likewise arrayed.  It's very socially affirming.)

We followed our usual SBQ path down the big open slope to Coleman Lake.  We
had excellent views of singing PRAIRIE WARBLERS at four different sites; I
confirmed three singing more or less simultaneously on adjacent territories.
At one point, one of these birds perched right above the trail three meters
from the front of our queue, and sang and preened for more than five minutes
in perfect light.  We also saw a cuckoo dashing all the way across the open
space.  The bird in flight gave all of us the impression of being very
rufous, but not markedly more so on the wings.  A BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO called
behind us just as we watched the other cuckoo fly away.  It was confusing
enough that I am counting only one of the two cuckoo species.  A BROWN
THRASHER in flight here was surprisingly silent, but still much easier to
ID.

The highlight of our stop at Coleman Lake was a SPOTTED SANDPIPER expertly
spotted by Ken Kemphues probably 200 meters away, bobbing away behind a
cordon of turtles.  It was quiet along the lower open stretches of the blue
trail, but then by the railroad tracks, we found two singing HOODED WARBLERS
(one provided a very brief but diagnostic view), a CANADA WARBLER, and a
cooperative MAGNOLIA WARBLER.  A third Hooded Warbler and a Chestnut-sided
Warbler sang repeatedly near Celia's Cup, giving us a fine lesson in the
subtle differences of their emphatic songs.

We ended with a side jaunt over to the red trail and the northern pond,
where we found the day's biggest surprise - a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER
piping its slurred two-note call from the hedgerow.  I don't have a lot of
experience with this call, but comparison with recordings from the Macaulay
Library leave no doubt in my mind about whether to count this bird.  Here we
also found the weekend's first WILLOW FLYCATCHER, just seconds after I began
lamenting missing it.

I am still stuck without some very common species for my weekend tally,
including Killdeer and Turkey Vulture, but I guess that just gives us more
reason to look forward to tomorrow.  I hope to see many of you at the
Goetchius Wetland Preserve at 6:30 and the Roy H. Park Preserve at 8:30!

Mark Chao

---
is active.