At Sunken Meadow S.P. on L.I., there was a House Finch pair nesting in the
lower level of an Osprey's nest.

Bill McAneny

  _____

From: bounce-116224047-7495...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-116224047-7495...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Karen
Edelstein
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2014 7:51 AM
To: cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu
Cc: Candace Cornell
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Osprey interaction

Last night, during our sunset walk at Salt Point in Lansing, Joe and I got
some nice views of the osprey pair sharing a fish on the platform edge.
When we were ready to leave (it was getting quite dark by then) one osprey
was down incubating presumably while the other stayed alert on the perch
(ha-ha... fish or pole or both). Some movement along the outside of the nest
caught Joe's attention.  Although the light was terrible, I could see a
long, twitching tail with a slight notch and very quick movements.  Blue
gray gnatcatcher I'm guessing.  The little bird and the big osprey had to
have been aware of each other but unbothered by each other's presence. The
little bird worked its way around the edge and then into the nest itself
before it got too dark to see anymore.
What was going on? Gleaning bugs?  Anyone else seen this? Could it have been
some species other than gnatcatcher?

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME> Welcome and Basics

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES> Rules and Information

<http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>