Diane Morton, Ken Kemphues, and I went looking for sparrows at the Freese
Road gardens on Monday morning.  Diane found a VESPER SPARROW on the fence
at the east edge of the large Dyce Lab corral.  We had long, close views of
the bird's distinctive face and head, plus one diagnostic glimpse of white
outer tail feathers when the sparrow flew.  We last saw the bird flying back
into the center of the community plots.

I am very fired up about this sighting.  This was the first Vesper Sparrow
I've ever seen on this side of Freese Road!

Otherwise, the species mix was much the same as the other day, with
apparently fewer SAVANNAH SPARROWS (we saw only one), more WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS (15+), still many SONG SPARROWS, two or more SWAMP SPARROWS, and
three or more WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, but no Chipping Sparrows nor House
Sparrows today.  TURKEY VULTURES streamed by both northbound and southbound
all morning.  We also saw one SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and a COOPER'S HAWK.

After about an hour in the gardens, we crossed over to the west side of
Freese Road and looked in the tall grasses by the pond edge.  Diane found a
FIELD SPARROW here.  We also saw a backlit PALM WARBLER along the path
between the hedgerows near the Liddell Lab parking area.

Mark Chao

---
is active.