Within the last hour, there was a bird on the platform feeder that I first
assumed was part of the resident flock of House Finches.  The breast
striping looked a little different, more like a Purple Finch, but nothing
else looked like a P. Finch. The bird ate voraciously and was very
aggressive, chasing finches and titmice away.  A closer look at its bill
showed it to be skewed with the lower mandible to the left of the upper.  I
am not familiar with crossbills so I checked in Sibley. ( I opened right to
the page showing Red Crossbill. That seemed like a good omen.  I tried not
to let that sway my judgment.)  The juvenile Red Crossbill looks much like a
H. Finch.  I have three questions. First, does anyone know of H. Finches
with deformed bills? Second, what is the likelihood of a Red Crossbill
coming to a feeder at this time of year?  Third, what else should I have
looked at to confirm my ID?

Bill McAneny, TBurg (off Rte 89)