I think we (Ann’s group) were pleasantly surprised the SEOWs were so active in
mid-afternoon on Sat. However, it was a leaden sky so maybe they thought dusk
had arrived earlier. At Long Pt (which we skipped that day), they seem to wait
until pre-dusk before magically appearing; there is still half an hour or so of
light to see and photograph them in. I assume other observers will chime in
with their anecdotes.

I trekked up to Baldwinsville Nature Ctr today and batted out on the LEOW as
did the 30 or so other birders who were there in the morning. Maybe it will
reappear today at dusk as apparently it did yesterday. I chatted with one of
the folks who got photos of it yesterday in dim light, sitting high on a tree.
I was not expecting to see it in that position this AM (and didn’t) and intense
scanning of the dense evergreens/hemlocks did not make it appear on its day
roost either. Sigh. He said this was the first ever LEOW at that site, so it
was big news in the area.

However, the same photog (Everett) told me the Saw-whet was a regular and liked
to hang out at the beginning of Bog Trail Loop, so I waited for a good half
hour there hoping for a stray movement from the Long-ear. Just as my feet were
getting cold, 2 then 3 titmice starting freaking out, then joined by 2
chickadees, 2 WB nuthatches and a Downy, all shrieking in a single small tree.
Classic owl mob, so I trundled down the path and after some searching found the
NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL with a mouseful (sic) of Deer Mouse. He didn’t give a
hoot (ick) about me standing 15’ away and shooting madly but also did not give
me a real good full-body look, occluded by one branch or another no matter how
I contorted myself. I couldn’t get closer because the icy trail is on a raised
walk over a semi-frozen bog. But I’m happy my little birdy friends ran him down
cause he would have been invisible otherwise.

Batted out completely on Bob’s Salt Rd Snowy and any others that might have
been on Indian Fields Rd as I took that on the way back.

ChrisP

On Dec 22, 2014, at 11:25 , Glenn Wilson