They may have returned to North Campus to roost at the end.

At 430-45 pm, there was a steady stream of crows coming E across the living
units on Jessup Road and filling the woods of the Cornell Golf Course between
Hasbrouck Community  and Mockley House, as well as the trees on the S border of
A-Lot.  My rough counts of partly seen trees and sky-flow suggested 6-8
thousand.  They swirled around for a bit until after 5pm, the dense treetop
groups in woods E of Hasbrouck slowly erupting upward again and moving W back
across Pleasant Grove Rd into both deciduous and coniferous trees in the campus
and residential area bounded by Pleasant Grove, Jessup, Dearborn, Kelvin, Wait
and Thurston.  Birds were still decorating trees along A-lot, but were NOT
going into Jessup Woods proper.  In other words, they stayed in somewhat lit
areas near buildings.

I left around 520pm and it was pretty dark.  No birds were moving very far west
or south at that point, only swirling up and turning back into North Campus
trees.

Two of our 5 radioed crows were among them, based on radio signals, but I never
saw a tagged bird---too diluted by untagged birds!

So---late counters in Jessup Road area might get the best count.  And if people
do record large flocks of crows, be sure to record the time and direction of
movement...that way we can probably put the observations together for an
accurate count.

my 2 cents!

Anne