Bob,

I have always understood that the divide between the Susquehanna and
St. Lawrence basins (The Cayuga Lake Basin is part of the St.
Lawrence drainage) was "somewhere between Belle School Rd and Ridgeway Road."

So, you have forced me to actually look at the maps.  Check out this
link:  http://www.tompkins-co.org/gis/physical.html

Here you can download the following:

(1) Town of Caroline--Tompkins County (the physical map)

Then scroll down to Environmental Maps and download:

(2) Watersheds of Tompkins County
(3)  Danby Watershed

The most useful comparison is then to look at the Danby map vs the
Town of Caroline, where you can see from the Danby map that they draw
the divide mostly right along Belle School Road. Right around the
road there it is quite flat and there is marsh on both sides. It is
probably hard to tell exactly what water flows which way right there
without testing it. You can see, however, that the watershed line
(pink) bows away from the road on the south side in one spot fairly
close to White Church Rd. The catbird was sitting in a bush along the
road right about where that bows out (I am not making this up), so I
think we're safe to say that when we saw it, it was in the basin!!
The Towhee was on the north side of Belle School Road, right where
the blue dotted line goes under the road (a culvert)--so definitely
at least a few feet into the basin!! That stream definitely flows
north between Coddington and White Church, and there is detectable
flow at least 300' in, and probably sooner, but I can't remember
seeing whether water flows under the road in one direction or the
other.  The Field Sparrows were farther in, so not even debatable.

Enjoy,
Sandy