Got the TUFTED DUCK on my second trip to south end of Cayuga lake. Tried
and failed Wednesday. Anyway, bird was first seen by the buoy with Mark
Miller and then we lost it for a bit. It reappeared by the docks off rte 89
as seen from Hog Hole. There were plenty of scaup sp and REDHEAD flying
back and forth between the buoy and the docks. My first glimpse revealed a
small bunch of feathers behind the head as the bird looked away from me.
The bird when it was near the buoy was actively diving so the white
contrast between the sides and the black on the back was most obvious. Near
the docks the bird was not diving and I actually saw the tuft along with a
better view of its striking plumage. Both views were rather distant and  I
needed to zoom way in on scope. Earlier in the morning I heard the bird was
closer to shore. I lost the bird again and could not re-located for a
while. It was cold, windy and there was some wave action on the lake. So I
started back and ran into Jeff Gerbacht. We looked by the docks for a bit
and Jeff re-located it near the docks.

After this, I headed to the compost piles on Stevenson Road and  looked at
the gulls. I could not find any Iceland gulls or Thayer's. I have never
seen a Thayer's before so I probably wouldn't know the difference from  an
Iceland!! Anyway, I did not see any bird that looked like an Iceland to me.
I did find the GLAUCOUS GULL that I believe I found on Wednesday from
Stewart park. This also likely is the bird Jay had earlier on Wednesday
from East Shore Park. Anyway, it was very white with pale gray wings.
Pinkish bill with a dark tip. I got some photos....see below.  I imagine
this is a 3rd year bird.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/15736190054/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/16357747802/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/16172417719/in/photostream/