The GREAT HORNED OWL mother and her two chicks have been at their nest on
the Newman Municipal Golf course throughout this week.  On Monday, the
mother perched just off the nest.  On Tuesday, she was about 30 feet away on
a neighboring tree.  Today she was back on the nest with the owlets, maybe
to reduce everyone's exposed surface area in the cold rain.  But I think
that the young owls will step out and fly soon.  Their flight feathers look
ready.

I looked for birds on the east side of Sapsucker Woods this morning too.  My
lone exciting find was a female WILD TURKEY in the mossy hemlock stand past
the north end of the Woodleton Boardwalk on the right.  It was the first
turkey I've seen in the sanctuary in several years.

During the week after Anne Clark posted about the Merlins along Christopher
Lane in our neighborhood in northeast Ithaca, I would see one Merlin atop a
tree every time I passed.  But I haven't seen any Merlins there for more
than a week now.

Mark Chao

---