Jay McGowan, Livia Santana, and I saw the two baby GREAT HORNED OWLS and
their mother out of their nest in a neighboring tree at the Newman Municipal
Golf Course in Ithaca on Wednesday morning.  One young owl appears much
bigger than the other, but I think that impression arises from retained
natal down, not dense body mass.

I also paid a visit to the Goetchius Wetland Preserve, a Finger Lakes Land
Trust property on Flatiron Road in Caroline.  I saw at least three WILSON'S
SNIPE around the flooded swale straight out from the parking area.  Several
SAVANNAH SPARROWS were singing on territories.  At one point, four Savannah
Sparrows came together in a scrum, which resolved itself into two departing
males and a pair.  Bobolinks and Eastern Meadowlarks both seemed absent.

On Saturday, May 2, I'll lead the first of the month's Spring Bird Quest
walks for the Land Trust at the Wesley Hill Nature Preserve between
Canandaigua and Honeoye Lakes.  This preserve is about 1 hour 50 minutes
from Ithaca.  The walk will begin at 8 AM from the preserve's parking area
along Gulick Road.  If you do make the trip, please do not confuse the
Wesley Hill Nature Preserve parking lot with that of the Cumming Nature
Center along the same road.

Mark Chao

---