Late this afternoon in the mouth of Fall Creek between Jetty Woods and Stewart
Park (Ithaca), there were dozens of immature Herring and Ring-billed Gulls (the
adults having migrated off to breed) circling around low and occasionally
dropping briefly to the water. Every time, the gull would fly up with a small
silver fish in its mouth, which was soon swallowed in flight with almost no
pursuit by other gulls. Their success rate and lack of conflict were
remarkable. The fish seemed easy for them to catch. I am ignorant about fish,
but I'm guessing these might have been Smelt on their way upstream to spawn. As
always, I was glad I'm not a fish. Fish have it tough with so many piscivorous
birds around, although I did not see anyone besides the gulls partaking there.