Jay just informed me that Marshall Iliff talked with a fisherman who saw
the pelican flying north at 9 AM from Taughannock. So here is more info for
people assessing where to look.

I saw the bird from very far away at 10x. I plainly saw a very long bill
and slow wingbeats. It was much larger than any gulls. It had a short body,
apparently brown, with chin tucked so bill pointed down. I saw no white on
the bird.

I explicitly ruled out herons or cormorants to myself before calling Jay
and posting. I am pretty sure my ID is correct. But I have been very wrong
before and would be glad to be wrong again if others can find it.

Mark

PS. It's cold here by the lighthouse...