Yesterday, 1/16, 10 hearty people joined me for a birding trip to the Sodus bay
area.  Our first stop was at the south end of the Sodus Bay.  We parked by the
Bay Bridge Sport Shop off Rt. 143.  The bay was mostly iced over here but there
were Mute Swans and juveniles, Trumpeter Swans and several gull species
including two Bonapartes Gulls, Ringed-billed and Herring  Gulls sitting on the
ice.  There were also Mallards and Black Ducks.  We continued on and drove
around Shaker Tract Rd. looking for the Shrike that had recently been reported
but struck out, just seeing Blue Jays.
Traveling on towards Sodus Point we stopped by Arney's Marina and Katlynn
Marine looking for the Snowy Owl, but it was not around.  Arriving at the Sodus
Bay Point park, another birder was just leaving and told us the Snowy Owl was
there.  It had just flown to the east pier from the top of the light house.
This was a life bird for Roberta, and it made her day.  The owl sat there the
whole time we were at the point, and all enjoyed long looks through the scopes.
There was a BRISK west wind and very choppy waves but we were able to enjoy a
variety of ducks here at the point.  A group of Long-tailed ducks hung out
between the piers for excellent views.   Wes counted 187 Long-tailed ducks from
this spot, and as we scanned back into the Bay and across the piers looking
east.  Other birds we saw here were Scaup species, Bufflehead, Common
Goldeneyes, White-winged Scoters, Common Loons (Meena had a count of 12),
Mallards, Red-breasted Mergansers, 3 Cormorants, Canada Geese, and Great
Black-backed Gulls.
From there we drove to another street where we were able to view between
houses, a nice raft of ducks, with many others in close view out on the bay.
The raft included both Greater and Lesser Scaup, Redheads, a Canvasback male
and 2 females. There were several White-winged Scoters  in this area and we had
really nice views of them.  Other birds here included a Red-necked Grebe,
Hooded Mergansers, Common Goldeneyes, and Common Loons.
We then drove west on Lake Rd. to check out Beechwood State Park.  We walked
back through a wooded area to an overlook to Lake Ontario.  On the walk we had
White-breasted Nuthatches, a Downey Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker,
Chickadee and Blue Jay.  There was a  primitive camping area we passed and at
the overlook we saw Buffleheads, Red-breasted Mergansers, Common Loon, and a
female Common Goldeneye.  Again, the water was extremely choppy.
We continued west to Pultenyville, but did not find any new species of ducks.
We found in and around a marina, mallards and a female Hooded Merganser and
female Common Merganser.
On our travels we passed many apple and other fruit orchards.  We saw American
Robins among some trees that still had fruit on them.
Other birds seen going to and from Sodus Bay, flocks of Snow Geese (overhead
while we were at the intersection of Rts. 318 and 414) , Red-tailed Hawks,
starlings, Cooper's Hawk, Pileated Woodpecker, and Rock Pigeons.

Given the wind, and choppy waves, but no rain (!), we had a nice variety of
ducks, and  good looks at some beautiful birds.  It was fun exploring new
areas.  Thanks to all who came along !

Good Birding,

Gladys Birdsall