Before a week ago, I had observed Pileated, Hairy, Downy, Flicker, and
Sapsuckers at one point or another (in past years) doing the ‘flicka-flicka’
type interaction where a pair (sometimes M-F, sometimes M-M) were ascending a
pole or tree and playing hide-and-seek while doing this vocalization.

Although Red-bellied Woodpeckers abound in our yard, woods, and bark butter
feeder, it was only a few days ago when I walked out to observe 2 males
ascending a bare tree, with a female in an adjacent tree, one M doing a loud
Wukka-Wukka at the other.

New yard bird vocalization for me (yes, I’m reduced to that now….)

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Information/Data Manager; IT Support
Bioacoustics Research Program