I just skimmed the Cornell Cooperative Extension publication "Hayfield
Management and Grassland Bird Conservation" and I respectfully disagree with
Geo that it is mostly impractical for a person in the hay farming business.

It provides a discussion of the current research on the nutritional value of
hay of various ages and talks about tradeoffs a farmer would want to consider
if he/she cares about helping grassland birds.
It also talks about rotating hayfields for grassland bird conservation and
other related strategies that consider the whole farm area from year to year.
It is at least a place to start for a farmer to read this publication.

In addition, it shows a plan to mow a field in such a pattern so as to help the
birds in the grass to escape from the machinery outward through cover to
adjacent areas, something that some farmers might want to know, no matter when
they mow.

I am glad to know about this publication, since in the past I don't recall such
an information source appearing on the Cayuga Bird List when people have asked
for this kind of advice.
Thanks all for this discussion.

Donna Scott
(former Senior Extension Associate in Food Science/Cooperative Extension at
Cornell)

Lansing