As I was coming back to Freeville via  Hanshaw Road (13 to West Dryden Road),
there was a Raven just sitting in a tree along the road, basically in the front
yard of the house or two on the W side of Hanshaw, just before getting to Niemi
Road.  Two crows came out from W of the house to call at the raven, which just
sat comfortably. I pulled into Niemi Road to get a few photos, just to document
the event of seeing a raven sitting calmly so close to a  house.

And speaking of the stretch between Etna and Niemi Roads, we have a disperser
crow, a young 3 year old female tagged with green tags, black letters 9U.  Last
year she moved from her natal area between Hanshaw and Cardinal lane,
apparently finding a mate and territory between Etna and Niemi Roads.   The
pair are often to be seen on one side of Hanshaw or the other.  BUT now that
nesting is upon us, they have been hanging out E of Hanshaw, a little less than
halfway from Etna to Niemi, at the N edge of the first big pasture/marsh open
area after passing Etna Road going N.

I would LOVE to find her nest and will be trying to watch the pair.  But it
isn’t going to be easy.  Their territory seems to go far E and W.  If anyone
gets some information from them (a direct flight to near a conifer farther
east, for instance?), an off-list email would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Anne