This morning atop a tall chimney on the Union Springs Academy campus, I observed a pair of copulating turkey vultures.

This is late but last Wed. a.m., (13th) a golden eagle came flying right over our house. Had very good binocular views of all sides of the bird with the sun showing highlights.

Yesterday afternoon, Becky & I went out checking osprey nests around MNWR areas. We found 2 new nests on back roads between Port Byron & Montezuma. As light began to fade she saw a new nest on a high tension power pole NE of Rte. 5 & 20 near Rte. 90. We stopped. Saw another nest. Thinking about roads in the areas to the north we went searching for the side road that would get us closer to the power poles. We hit paydirt. Found another nest. Went then to the next side road & parked under the power lines focusing on poles to the east & saw 3 nests in a row. As I looked up to the west, right beside me next to the road was a pole with a nest on it.

Becky keeps a list of all the nests we have found & whether they are occupied. Two yrs. ago when I decided to count nests between Union Springs & the refuge that I knew about I had only 17 nests. A few days later Becky & I found 6 more. Since then, with Candace Cornell eagerly on the trail we now have over 80 known nests!!! Not all are occupied, perhaps for various reasons such as birds may not have survived migration, but their nos. are climbing.

Fritzie
Union Springs