Four bluebirds hatched on 4 July, as expected. By early a.m. 5 July, &
since then, temps have been in the mid-90s in the shade so surely inside
the bird box on the clothesline arm had to be hotter.  Years ago, under
the same circumstances, I had successfully put an old umbrella over the
box to shield it from the sun & heat, so on the 5th I did the same. The
birds were wary for about 45 min., alternately sitting on the
clothesline or making aborted trips towards the box entrance. Finally
the male dared go in. After that the umbrella became just a part of
their natural surroundings & feeding has proceeded.

The 4 ft. high garden fence, distanced some 8 ft. all around the
clothesline post, protected the tree swallows from the neighbor's cat.
Four of the five fledged right on schedule, with the feeding help of the
second female after the male disappeared, but the 5th was a runt that I
found down under the much larger sibs.  I found it dead the a.m. of the
3rd day after the others had fledged. Apparently the female had her own
built-in sense of how long she should feed. How much we DON'T know about
nature!

For those who don't know, according to _Stokes_ _Field_ _Guid__e_, "The
Tree Swallow is the only N. Am. passerine with an immature plumaged
female in the 1st (& sometimes 2nd) yr.. The imm. plumage allows them to
approach breeding adults & their nests without being chased away. This
lets them monitor breeding pairs & be ready to replace any adult female
that dies during the nesting season." .... In this case, it was the male
that was replaced. I am noticing even more this yr. than last the lack
of insects, which I believe is due to the the farmers using  more
insecticides, so I'm seeing far fewer swallows. Strangely, the numbers
of chimney swifts staying here has increased this yr..

I am still over-run with house sparrows despite destroying eggs &
females (catching them at night.) I have put 2 set mousetraps in boxes
to which the male sparrows are attracted (once I was sure no swallows or
bluebirds will use them.) By a fluke I've caught a male that way.  Of
course, it's the males who destroy the eggs & kill the bluebirds & swallows.

I am dismayed about the spay & neuter program started here in the
village by several women who, for several mos., have been feeding larger
& larger nos. of strays .... some 22 to 30 by their own counts &
sightings _in just 2 colonies_. I love cats but won't have any that
aren't "fixed." I am angry to see these feral cats coming here into my
area, some distance away from downtown, as they hunt, (despite now being
well fed), spread fleas & fight with house pets. A vet comes from Ithaca
to Wells College to spay, neuter & give shots for $40 ... funded in part
by the Facebook "Go fund me" page. Last I knew the women had collected
about $1200!!! These cats have no true shelter so come winter, once
again, cats will have frostbitten limbs & ears, or will freeze to
death.  And who will be able to catch & pay for cats that have other
diseases or abscesses & other injuries from fighting?

Late getting this posted but for those who haven't been by Mill pond
along Rte. 90 for a couple wks.. The Eagle Scout, perhaps with help from
someone in the village, has erected a kiosk with a bit of history of the
area along with very nice pictures of ducks & geese that have frequented
the pond during migration. The only activity on/in the pond recently has
been a GBH  (great blue heron.) I've seen no one sitting on the new
benches the scoutput along the pond.

On Factory pond, Becky saw a new set of "woodie" woodlets following
their mom last wk. but I didn't see any yesterday. The first set of
"woodlets" are almost full size now. These are the first wood ducks to
raise young there in quite some time that I know of. Becky & I have seen
some very large fish in the pond & suspect someone put their catch of
carp in the pond, maybe thinking they would clean up the scum on the
surface.  I complained to the village public works supervisor about how
disgusting Factory pond looks with the mung all over it & the beaver
fallen trees in the water.  Waste of breath!    That's the news from
Union Springs. I'm grateful for a cloudy day today.

Fritzie