I think that I heard a HOODED WARBLER singing a few times in Sapsucker
Woods on Friday morning.  The song sounded entirely typical to me (two
short rising phrases with rich tone quality, followed by a big 360-degree
flourish).  The bird seemed to be near the southern pond edge.   But I was
far away on the Wilson/Severinghaus trail overlap and couldn’t get sight
confirmation.

I found several other warbler species, including WILSON’S (1 M singing
two-part song ending with a vaguely cowbird-like plinking trill, at the
bend in Wilson Trail North), BLACK-THROATED BLUE (1 singing M, same
location), MAGNOLIA (1 M, where trail enters Hoyt-Pileated woods from power
lines) and CHESTNUT-SIDED (apparent pair at this location).  Improbably, I
missed American Redstarts today.

Other highlights:

* One SOLITARY SANDPIPER and two brawling NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES near Ruth
Davis’s pergola south of the building

* In separate locations, a WARBLING VIREO and an OVENBIRD each extending
herself prone, fluttering her wings, and raising her tail, as if inviting
copulation from a nearby male.  All four birds involved seemed to notice me
and get shy.  So I left both pairs without witnessing consummation.

* BLUE-HEADED VIREO still present along the East Trail near the Lucente
building (I referred to this building as green the other day, but actually
it is white.  Sorry for my mistake.)

* Two very unwary VEERIES along the pond edge by 91 Sapsucker Woods Road
(southern stretch of East Trail), plus several others throughout the woods.

Mark Chao