Twelve birders joined me for two bird walks on Saturday morning on the
eastern slope of Skaneateles Lake, to launch this year’s Finger Lakes Land
Trust Spring Bird Quest.

We started at 8 AM at the High Vista Preserve on Vincent Hill Road.  We
heard at least four HOODED WARBLERS.  I got only one sight confirmation,
fortuitously when the bird switched to its rising alternate song.  Others
missed seeing that one, but some in our group (not I) later saw two Hooded
Warblers together.   We found many other expected species of the moist
hardwood forest.  Most illuminating for me was a view of a VEERY issuing
some harsh parrot-like “craahkk” calls.  This learning experience enabled
us to identify an unseen Veery uttering the same sound not long afterward.

We finished that walk at about 9:45, at which point a mix of repeat
customers and newcomers joined me for the next outing at the nearby
Hinchcliff Family Preserve, at the end of Covey Road.  It was our honor to
be joined by John and Robin Hinchcliff of the eponymous family whose
generosity made the acquisition of this large and stunning property
possible.

Here we had the morning’s two biggest surprises – a very late LINCOLN’S
SPARROW in a hedgerow near the parking lot and an ACADIAN FLYCATCHER
singing across the deep ravine from the trail, in the northern part of the
preserve.  eBird gave me two coveted “complete” prompts for these
observations.  See the full list below for details and poor but diagnostic
photos of the sparrow.

At this preserve too, we found four Hooded Warblers.  This time we all saw
one singing male.  I saw another briefly myself.  (Today’s eight must to be
a personal high count for me for Hooded Warblers for one morning!!) We also
heard a singing CANADA WARBLER and saw several CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLERS,
most of which were singing their rambling, unemphatic alternate songs.

Thanks to all who joined the walks in the rising heat!  And I look forward
to seeing many of you in Candor for tomorrow’s walk at Logan Hill!

Mark Chao

High Vista list

Hinchcliff list, including Lincoln’s Sparrow photos