Jae Sullivan joined me for the Cayuga Bird Club trip to Onondaga
Audubon's Derby Hill Hawk watch on Sunday, April 23ed.  The weather was
right for a good flight and we were not disappointed.   The official
count switched to the south lookout fairly early as the winds had
changed from southerly to the northwest.  It was sunny and clear, and
with the winds we still needed to  Birds were moving through high and
distant because of the NW winds moving them inland from the lake.  We
were treated to hundreds of Broad-winged Hawks, some to the east of the
lookout, and others would go right over us. Some moved by between the
south lookout and Lake Ontario.  The birds being more distant made it
more challenging.  We still had good looks at the Broad-winged Hawks, as
many came right overhead.   A Red-shouldered Hawk came by and we both
were able to see the "commas" in the wings.   A Merlin quickly moved
through west of the lookout.   A nice pamphlet showing hawk silhouettes
was passed out, which Jae found very helpful.  We also saw a Northern
Harrier; Sharp-shinned Hawks; an Osprey; Turkey Vultures, and Red-tailed
Hawks. During our time there five Bald Eagles migrated by with 4 of them
being called Juvinal (2), one Immature and one sub-adult.  ( I could
tell they were not adult