As we do on every year, the Finger Lakes Land Trust and I are offering a
series of bird walks over Memorial Day weekend.  We call the event the
Spring Bird Quest (SBQ).  It is a great way for birders of all levels to
get to know our local breeding birds in a variety of wonderful habitats.
The SBQ also shines a light on the Land Trust’s role in preserving these
places in perpetuity for us and the birds we love.

This year, there will be five walks.

Saturday,  May 27

Lindsay-Parsons Biodiversity Preserve

Routes 34 and 96, West Danby

Meet in the main parking lot at 8:00 AM

Sunday, May 28

Bock-Harvey Forest Preserve (owned by the Finger Lakes Trail Conference,
subject a conservation easement held by the Land Trust)

Rockwell Road, Enfield

Meet in the main parking lot at 8:00 AM

Stevenson Forest Preserve

Trumbull Corners Road, Enfield

Meet along the road at the preserve at 10:00 AM

Monday, May 29

Goetchius Wetland Preserve

Flatiron Road, Caroline

Meet in the parking area at 6:30 AM

Roy H. Park Preserve

Irish Settlement Road, Dryden

Meet in the south parking area between Goodband Road and Midline Road (not
the lot north of Goodband) at 8:30 AM

For more information, see http://www.fllt.org/spring-bird-quest/.

All of the walks are free, but as usual I will count all the bird species
that I find on the preserves throughout the weekend, and will raise money
for the Land Trust from pledges.  Since 2006 I think we have raised at
least $65,000 for the Land Trust in this way.  If you’d like to make a
pledge, please contact me or visit http://www.fllt.org/donate/.  (If you do
donate online, please check the box to mark the gift “in honor of someone”
and type in “Spring Bird Quest.”)

I hope to see many of you out on the trails over Memorial Day weekend!

Mark Chao

Ithaca