They really are black flies, and they bite!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_fly

I think the term "gnat" is kind of a lay term that people use for
small flying things that annoy them, which would certainly include
those dreaded black flies, which I try really hard to view as "bird
food" and "what brings the warblers in spring." (But I rarely succeed.)

"Gnats" officially come in many varieties, such as Fungus Gnats and
Wood Gnats, which look nothing like black flies.  Scroll down through
this link to see the various groups of flies.
http://www.naturespot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/22226

Sandy Podulka

p.s. Thanks for the head net link! It looks great and REI is a
terrific company to support.