I have suspected that the red pattern and the variation in black-to-brown
coloration on the wings made many individual Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
distinguishable. This year I decided to try to take digital images of every
RBGR that I saw that perched on the feeder at a position so that I could
photograph its front and, if possible, also its side. So far I've downloaded
sets of images for 10 RBGR that perched appropriately. After
examining/comparing the images of the first 10 birds, 9 of them were distinctly
different individuals. We only saw two males at a time so without a photo album
I would have only counted 2 males, plus two females also. I'm still making my
photo album of them, and repeats are still uncommon. Who knows how many it will
add up to.

Fun with birds.

John