HI Dave,

    It still surprises me that even among environmentalists, biodiversity is
still a matter of contention. There are ecological reasons to support
biodiversity, often thought to enhance the mega goal of biostability.

The Young Forest Initiative is intended to increase biodiversity. I love
diversity of species from Monarch Butterflies and Field Sparrows to Wood
Thrush. You couldn’t see the former two species walking in a totally forested
habitat. Although the YFI is a new program, it comes from an increased
awareness that forests alone only support a fraction of New York’s wildlife,
and that to fulfill the older state mandate for biodiversity requires a
diversity of habitats. I think that cutting 10% of the forest in ten years
provides a reasonable balance of different habitats.

I know that in the Hammond Hill management, areas of old, mature forest were
designated to be left alone, and that areas with high ecological value as they
were, such as areas with high concentration of orchids, were left alone.
Cutting was assigned to areas of younger forests and those portions of the
forest where the current tree species would encourage rapid regeneration. Oaks
provide an especially valuable food source for wildlife and food chains that
start with eating an acorn. In locations where they occur,  Goshawk and Timber
Rattlesnakes obtain a major food source from chipmunks in years of chipmunk
eruption following acorn mast years. Blue Jays, Red-headed Woodpeckers and
Red-bellied Woodpeckers, deer, bear, owls, and far more species are enhanced by
oaks and their acorns. Oaks regenerate in areas with at least 30% full
sunshine.  For Hammond Hill, some of the areas with selective cutting were
designed to leave some mature oaks to provide a seed source.

You mention creation of 100 acres of meadow as part of the list of reasons you
oppose the management plan. Across New York grassland species are declining.
Given the 11,000 acres of Connectiuct Hill, where else would it be more
appropriate for the state help declining grassland species. Many grassland
species are area-sensitive. They simple do not nest in anything but large
patches of grassland. 10 10-acre patches of grassland will support practically
no grassland species. One 100 acre grassland might well support grassland
species, even Bobolinks, and meadowlarks and courtship grounds for woodcock.

I love to walk through grasslands and shrubby fields and young forests as well
as mature, old forests. Looking/listening for early successional species can
provide real pleasure. In addition to personal pleasure, enhanced biodiversity
is widely supported for ecological stability and by many hunting groups. Across
New York grasslands and early succession habitat is declining as are the
animals that depend on such habitat. As part of many examples, the National
Turkey Foundation endorses clear cuts as they provide food for young turkey.
Deer populations are enhanced by feeding in winter in recent clear cuts. For
Hammond Hill, local residents who are long time deer hunters complain about the
decline of deer in Hammond Hill State Forest as the early successional fields
have succeeded into older forest. I know from personal experience that we once
routinely saw  several Ruffed Grouse visiting our yard at once (and we live
contiguous to Hammond Hill State Forest). Ruffed Grouse feed primarily on aspen
buds in winter and their population has locally declined as forests have
matured and aspen have declined. Truly, forest management that provides 10% of
the land in early succession would do much to enhance biodiversity, including
species that have much appeal for non-hunters and hunters alike.

As far as I can tell your reasons for opposing such forest management is that
it would alter what you are accustomed to seeing and that it would add a
campground. Adding a campground to increase public enjoyment of state forests
is not my personal priority, but I am willing to accept it in appropriate
locations as a reasonable use of forest land owned and managed by the state for
wildlife and human use. I suggest your appreciation of wildlife and natural
habitats could be enhanced by accepting different ecosystems as an addition and
not a loss.

By the way, I think I have said more than enough on this topic. I will not
respond further.

Best wishes,

John