If the Black Vultures hang around until tomorrow (Friday), they will be
a new species for the Christmas Bird Count.

My interview about the count (recorded Tuesday) was aired on WCHU today:
http://whcuradio.com/morning-newswatch/new-years-day-with-cayuga-bird-club/.
In it I mentioned vultures. Before 2004 we had never recorded a Turkey
Vulture, but they've been seen every year since but one. Vultures moving
their winter range north appears to be a trend.

-Paul

On 12/28/2017 10:18 AM, AB Clark wrote:
> I too went back through Bluewing as well as CBL, and repeat sightings
> of 2 BLVU in Broome followed the 7, as were sightings of 2 in Cayuga
> Basin, several times through March and early April.  Then I can find
> no sightings (although I didn’t check ebird) until late summer, when
> they started being seen around the Compost (1 and 2 at a time).
>
> Wonder if some tracking through lists and eBird could suggest where a
> pair could have bred not far from the purview of both lists and within
> a day’s sail of the compost. I COULD check the Breeding Bird Altas…if
> I weren’t going to sail down to Binghamton for a few hours.
>
> anne
>
> Anne B Clark
> 147 Hile School Rd
> Freeville, NY 13068
> 607-222-0905
> anneb.cl...@gmail.com <mailto:anneb.cl...@gmail.com>
>

>> On Dec 28, 2017, at 9:59 AM, David Nicosia <daven102...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:daven102...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> We had 7 Black Vultures in Vestal NY last spring just south of
>> Binghamton which was a record high for Broome County. We also had
>> another bird reported in the spring in Chenango Bridge NY.
>> I also heard from the Chemung Valley folks that they had 8 BVs this
>> spring a new record for them as well. Who knows in 10 years they may
>> be regular in central NY. TVs were rare at one point many decades ago
>> and they have made a remarkable expansion north. It would be cool to
>> see both regularly up here!
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Kevin J. McGowan <k...@cornell.edu
>> <mailto:k...@cornell.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     Maybe. They do breed in the state and have become more common
>>     over the last few years.
>>
>>     Kevin

>>     *From:* bounce-122158375-3493...@list.cornell.edu
>>     <mailto:bounce-122158375-3493...@list.cornell.edu>
>>     <bounce-122158375-3493...@list.cornell.edu

Paul Anderson, VP of Engineering, GrammaTech, Inc.
531 Esty St., Ithaca, NY 14850
Tel: +1 607 273-7340 x118; http://www.grammatech.com