Similar here in Broome County. A rare few waterfowl are here and there.

Glenn Wilson
Endicott, NY
www.WilsonsWarbler.com

On Jan 4, 2019, at 8:59 AM, Donna Lee Scott <d...@cornell.edu> wrote:

Yesterday, I was on the lake shore here in Lansing and looked up and down for a
while and saw no waterfowl in any direction.

Donna L. Scott
Lansing Station Road
Lansing, NY

-----Original Message-----
From: bounce-123219952-15001...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-123219952-15001...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Dave Nutter
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 6:32 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Raptors, swans, ducks

Yesterday afternoon (Thursday 3 Jan) Ann Mitchell & I went north toward Fayette
& Seneca Falls townships looking for raptors with some success: in addition to
the ubiquitous Red-tailed Hawks we saw an adult Cooper’s Hawk on a pole in
Covert, a male American Kestrel and a Merlin about a quarter mile apart on
Seybolt Rd, a female Northern Harrier atop a mound of brush & wood along
Peterman Rd, and two Snowy Owls, one on Seybolt Rd, another at the Fingerlakes
Regional Airport, so that was a success.

On our way back we made the tough choice to check out the lake rather than seek
Short-eared Owls. The lake was calm and temperatures not extreme, so there was
very little heat shimmer. We scanned from the boat ramp at Cayuga Lake SP while
several boats of gunners came in for the day. I’m used to the shallow north end
of Cayuga Lake being frozen for several miles in winter, but there was no ice
at all. And when there’s no ice, or as the shelf is melting back in mid-March,
I’m used to seeing hordes of northbound ducks diving near the ice edge.
Yesterday the lake appeared eerily empty. In a complete scan I saw 3 pairs of
Mallards scattered along the west shore along with 1 male Hooded Merganser
(perhaps his mate eluded me?), a pair of breeding plumage Long-tailed Ducks far
to the SE which flushed as one of the boats approached them, and another group
of 9 Long-tailed Ducks already in flight farther south. That was it for ducks.
There were dozens of Herring Gulls along with a few Great Blacked Gulls on the
water far to the east, but all of the above birds except one pair of Mallards
required a scope.

There were small flocks of Canada Geese coming in overhead from the NW. The
most interesting find from Cayuga L SP was a probable family group of 5 Mute
Swans on the lake to the east of the boat ramp. They also took flight between
when I found them and when Ann looked through my scope. They continued flying
south out of sight. The Mute Swans I believe are a first for 2019 for the
Cayuga Lake Basin (the table of 2019 basin firsts has been filled out and
should be up on the Club website shortly).

Along Lower Lake Rd we saw a handful of scattered Ring-billed Gulls, and from
NYS-89 as we drove south we saw small separate groups of American Black Duck
(11), Common Goldeneye (9), Bufflehead (10?), Red-breasted Merganser(3), and
American Coot(~35), and Snow (2) and Canada Geese. The diversity aded up after
awhile, but still the impression was of an empty lake. The only exception was
the large raft of Snow Geese in the middle of the lake off Poplar Beach Rd by
the Beer Garden, viewed from NYS-89. We didn’t go down to Sheldrake.

- - Dave Nutter