Gray, mid-afternoon: 5 Feb. 2019 ...

Daughter, Becky & I counted 4 adult bald eagles & 8 immatures. One adult
was on the nest at the mouth of the Seneca R./canal & others were in
trees near Mud Lock.   Immatures, except for 3 in trees,  were either
flying or sitting on the ice with swans & ducks.

Dozens, if not several hundred swans were on the ice to the west of the
main channel. Some were flying. Many ducks & Canadas were in the same area.

In Geneva at the Seneca Lake SP we saw 3 huge flotillas of red heads,
all doing their usual soldierly back & forth swimming "ritual." Dare I
estimate 1,000-2,000? Some may say more.

We saw many red-breasted & common mergansers as well as common
golden-eye & gadwall.

Becky spotted a large, almost chunky looking, GBB size, white gull on
the ice with ring-bills. It was all white with pink feet/legs. Bill had
a pronounced all-black tip with no sign of black or visible gray
anywhere on the feathers. We concluded it was a _glaucous_ gull but  you
experienced "gullers" would have to say if it's an immature. She took
pictures but binoculars showed better features than did her camera.

We didn't try for owls anywhere. Oh, Van Cleef Lake in Seneca Falls is
still iced over.

Temperature was 50 deg. when we arrived in Geneva. When we left 4 hrs.
later it was 31 deg.. What a difference a day makes. It was 65 yesterday.

Fritzie

Union Springs