What's even more confusing is that 100 years ago there wasn't nearly the
forest cover locally. Is it possible that the small patches of woods that
were present back then were loaded with forest migrants so the perception
was many more birds(like the central park effect?)? It's hard to believe
that many of our local breeding forest birds were more common 100 years
with such a lack of habitat. Our field birds certainly have declined
tremendously as farmland and fields have reverted back to forest. It is
also confusing that DDT was banned in the early 1970s and numbers of birds
continued to drop. The loss of juncos has me baffled too. They are a very
adaptable species nesting in suburbs close to people now. They also like
openings in forests and forest edges. Maybe the maturation of the forests
has diminished their breeding habitats? Deer browsing understory could be
another cause I suppose. Same could be said for white-throated sparrows.
Forest dwelling birds like red-eyed vireos, blue-headed vireos, and various
warblers that are tree nesters are doing well according to BBS and banding
studies. Maybe its the maturation of our forests that is the cause of some
declines of other species and leading to increases in others. I don't see
how global warming would cause declines locally. Our summers really aren't
any warmer. Its the winters that are a few degrees warmer now which helps
many species like juncos, WT sparrows etc. So many questions and not a lot
of answers.