Monday, November 11, will be the next monthly meeting of the Cayuga Bird Club.
Our speaker Christina Hoh, NYSDEC Biologist in Avon, NY, will give the
presentation "Monitoring New York's Winter Raptors".
 Upstate New York is known for its harsh winters, but some raptor species
specialize in cold and snowy weather and spend their winters right here in our
communities. These charismatic raptors, including Northern Harriers and
Short-eared Owls, are under a wide range of threats, and NYSDEC, its partners,
and volunteers work together to monitor these nomadic birds across their winter
range in New York.

 About the Speaker: Christina first came upstate to attend RIT, where she
earned a B.S. in Biology and was introduced to avian research through bird
banding on campus and at the Braddock Bay Bird Observatory. She then attended
SUNY Brockport, where she monitored Great Lakes coastal wetland birds and
amphibians and studied migration physiology of White-throated Sparrows for her
M.S. degree. She spent four years as a Wildlife Technician at NYSDEC, where she
monitored rare bird species and their habitat, and now works as a DEC Habitat
Biologist here in the Finger Lakes/Western New York region.
 Come as we discuss these birds' natural history, current trends, our surveys
and discoveries, and how you can take part in monitoring efforts..The meeting
will be held at the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology. Doors open at 7:00 pm
and there will be cookies and conversation starting at 7:15. Bird club business
begins at 7:30 pm followed by the presentation. All are welcome. Members are
invited to join Christina for dinner at the Sumo Japanese Steak Restaurant
(Cayuga Mall on Triphammer Rd.) before the meeting at 5:30 p.m. Please RSVP to
Colleen Richards at cl...@juno.com  by noon Monday so reservations can be
made.See you all on Monday.
Colleen RichardsCorresponding SecretaryCayuga Bird Club