There was an interesting tableau at the West Danby heronry when I drove up late
this morning: It appeared to be an ‘all hands on deck’ alert. Nobody was off
foraging. Every nest had multiple guardians.  In the highest nest one Great
Blue Heron was settled very low, as if incubating an egg (early), while the
other stood on the rim. About 12 feet above them at the top of the snag, a
nearly mature Bald Eagle perched quietly. Occasionally the Eagle (4th year, I
judged) preened its shoulder nonchalantly, but the Herons remained vigilant.
After twenty minutes of this largely motionless drama, the Eagle departed, and
then so did I. I’m back there now (19:15). Looks pretty calm. That one heron
does appear to be incubating.

-Geo