> On Apr 1, 2020, at 8:09 AM, k...@empireaccess.net wrote:
> That rookery on guard experience must have been something to see.

Yes, and it made me wonder if this heronry will soon meet the fate of the one
that used to occupy a wooded island in the North Spencer Marsh, until it was
appropriated by an Eagle pair.

> Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to know if and when you saw courtships
> displays.

I wasn’t present for any displays, but I saw what I interpreted as a tandem
pair flight from the heronry on March 15th, and then on the 18th there were 6
in the heronry. Some of last year’s nests had fallen, but more construction is
now underway, and one heron is already incubating, two weeks in advance of the
April 15th egg date given in the old Atlas 2000 Breeding Season Tables. I
didn’t actually count the herons yesterday, but 16 is probably about right.

I’ve been hearing a Phoebe “S” for several days, but this morning it’s a pair
“P” of Phoebes on their traditional territory in my yard.

-Geo