Wanting to walk somewhere besides up and down my road, but needing to stay in
an area with cell service, I went to Sapsucker Woods Wilson Trail this
afternoon.
I didn't expect to see much since it was mid-day.

But as is usual with birding, one often finds the unexpected.

On the north side of Wilson Trail by the beaver lodge and drainage area, I had
great close up looks at a RUBY THROATED HUMMINGBIRD sipping from Jewel Weed
flowers.
Out over the pond were numerous BLUE JAYS, CEDAR WAXWINGS, & 2 BELTED
KINGFISHERS.
Rounding the bend towards the Sherwood Platform, I found a huge Snapping Turtle
resting in the middle of the path. It looked pre-historic.
This guy is now the most photographed turtle in Tompkins County, since everyone
who went by took his picture, including moi.

Out on the Sherwood Platform I spotted even more CEDAR WAXWINGS fly-catching, 3
GREEN HERONS skulking around the lily pads, & the same BLUE JAYS flying and
squawking.

-- AND THEN I saw an immature RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, which I posted on the Rare
Bird list!
It went back and forth to various dead tree trunks and then disappeared. (Later
found by Jody E and Tom S, who had gotten my post on Rare Birds).

A dashing PILEATED WOODPECKER zoomed across the pond into the woods.

All in all I saw 25 species including a WOOD DUCK swimming by the Lab of O
building.

Not bad for "just going for a walk and I won't see anything..."

Donna Scott