I just had one of the more surreal sightings in local birding I've ever
experienced. As I went out in the yard here in Northeast Ithaca this
evening to check for nighthawks, I spotted a bird soaring up overhead that,
after a quick double take where I tried to turn it into a gull and then a
nighthawk, I realized was a small JAEGER. It headed southeast and,
incredibly, was spotted by Tristan Herwood and Chris Sayers from Bluegrass
Lane shortly thereafter, where they watched it continue up and out of sight
to the south. Shape and proportions seem diagnostic for LONG-TAILED over
Parasitic to us.

Checklist with more details, as well as some very poor photos (phone
through binoculars):
https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S73362969

Pretty bizarre, but a good reminder to keep an eye out at all times—and
always carry a camera.

--
Jay McGowan
jw...@cornell.edu