All,

I spent some time watching the numerous RED-TAILED HAWKs on Stevenson Road
over the Game Farm. Two subspecies (I believe) were present (see photos in
ebird report).

<goog_2067466959>
https://ebird.org/checklist/S79764223

I noticed much darker markings on some RED-TAILED HAWKs which I believe are
the abieticola subspecies or "northern" RED-TAILED HAWK. There were many
with lighter markings which is the borealis subspecies that nests here and
is our "eastern" RED-TAILED HAWK. This is kind of backwards since "boreal"
usually means north!

In any event, this is a neat place to study RED-TAILED HAWKS since there
are so many here!  I have seen a few abieticola subspecies in Broome County
but there seemed to be at least several here.

There was also a large flock of EUROPEAN STARLINGs of which I found 4
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS. They are not rare but neat to see in winter.  I also
enjoyed seeing the many TURKEY VULTURES, again not rare here, but quite
rare in Broome County in winter. I didn't see any BLACK VULTURES which are
being seen here regularly.

I didn't go to the compost piles opting to stay on Stevenson road.

Best,
Dave Nicosia
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
*Archives:*
The Mail Archive
Surfbirds
BirdingOnThe.Net
*Please submit your observations to eBird!*