Yesterday my daughter, Lisa, and I birded around the west side of Cayuga Lake. We found a nice concentration of ducks and geese at Sheldrake--many Canada Geese, Canvasbacks, and Mallards. Smaller numbers of Trumpeter Swans, Redhead, Common Mergansers, Ring-necked Ducks, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, and Red-breasted Mergansers. We also saw 5 Snow Geese on shore, including one blue phase, and a single Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup, and Black Duck. The viewing is nice because things are close. I just wish there were places for birders to pull over along the road.

On Morgan Road, which leads down to Sheldrake, there was a good-sized flock (I'm terrible at estimating numbers, so we'll leave it at that) of Snow Buntings at moderately fresh manure. Smaller numbers of Horned Larks, and one American Pipit right along the road, bobbing its tail.

eBird checklist with terrible pipit photos here: https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S82133028

If you want to see Redhead, head to Seneca Lake State Park--huge raft offshore there.

Sandy Podulka