Hi Sandy and all,

I was there last night.

The Main Pool has been drained this summer for management purposes. See here
for the Refuge's explanation:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=1919598661523947&set=gm.1081190235912319

There is still a stream of water running through the middle and along the drive
as you move closer to the spillway. We saw many Canada geese and goslings of
all ages, Bald Eagles (scan with your binos on the ground way out, they often
sit on the muck), Turkey Vultures, Great Blue Herons, Mallards (and ducklings),
Green-winged Teal, Common Gallinule, American Coot, a few Gadwall, a single
Great Egret, Killdeer, Yellowlegs, Red-winged Blackbirds, Ring-billed Gulls,
Black Terns, and Common Grackles. I didn't see them last night, but I did see
them Monday: the family of Sandhill Cranes that have been there all season. 2
adults and a very leggy baby! Here is another link to a bird survey done at the
Refuge earlier this week:
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsoftheMWC/photos/pcb.10159330589425688/10159330569450688/

Of course there were also Marsh Wrens calling, never seen, and Song Sparrows,
Common Yellowthroats, Yellow Warblers, Eastern Kingbirds, Barn and Tree
Swallows, Purple Martins, and probably more I'm forgetting.

The Prothonotary Warbler on Armitage Rd was singing and very cooperative even
at 6:30pm.

Enjoy!

--
Alyssa Johnson