Hi all,

I just returned from a very cordial fact-finding meeting with Samara Sit
who is an Associate Dean in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at
Cornell.  She was asked by the university president to be the point person
on the issue.  We spent much of our time discussing the big picture and the
basic what, when, where, how, and why questions.  She took many notes and
asked good questions.  Within the next couple of weeks she will raise this
topic in meetings she already has on the books with folks in many units
across campus, including the Atkinson Center for Sustainability, the Lab of
Ornithology, Farm Services, and others.

We both believe there is an opportunity to formalize grassland bird
conservation within the existing sustainability initiatives on campus.
This was the first step (or maybe third or fourth actually), but I was
encouraged by our meeting.  And, we had an actual (masked) face-to-face
discussion in Roberts Hall.  Good to meet someone in person and come away
feeling like they were willing to listen and to learn more about the issue.

Thanks to everyone who has provided resources, ideas, and support of all
kinds.  It makes a difference.

Jody

Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and