Hi Pete (& all),

For the past 2 years the presence of Peregrines at Taughannock (returned after
decades of absence) has only been publicized after fledging, and the nest
location has not been publicized. This limits harassment by people trying to
see or photograph them. Some folks try to get extra close to birds without
gauging the birds’ discomfort, and a nest is a very vulnerable place.
Photographers particularly value being as close as possible, and I have met
amateurs who have scared off other rare birds locally. For instance a worker at
Treman Marina deliberately flushed a Snowy Owl in order to obtain a cell-phone
picture of it in flight, and the bird did not return. Maybe it’s better for
people to use telescopes and to watch the Peregrines after the birds are able
to keep their own comfortable distance. There are many ledges and snags for the
birds to use, and they can be seen flying as well.

- - Dave Nutter