Absolutely! I credit Paul Paradine’s work and the change of policy at NYSEG
from knocking down Osprey nests from power poles (after which the Ospreys would
often start over in the same place!) to instead raising the nest up onto a
special platform. The result has been that NYSEG looks good, Ospreys have bred
successfully, and over the course of several generations Ospreys have spread
from Montezuma NWR south along Cayuga Lake’s shores to Ithaca, such that this
past Spring when a storm fatally blew the young out of the nest in Cass Park’s
Union Fields, there were 6 (six!) other successful nests arrayed around the
south end of Cayuga Lake in Ithaca! Plus there are others farther afield such
as Game Farm Road. Candace Cornell tries to keep track of a mind-bogglingly
large number of Osprey nests in our area.

- - Dave Nutter