Sorry about the delayed report, but I was also watching the morning of 10
November from the NYS-89 bridge over the Flood Control Channel in Ithaca. I got
a late start, being there from 0742 to 0915, so I probably missed the majority
of what Jared & Scott saw if their birds passed over Ithaca at all. Between
0754 and 0838 I saw a maximum of 23 Common Loons, assuming no duplicate
sightings.  They were generally to my east. 11 were flying south and appeared
to be migrating. 3 were flying southwest and may also have been migrating but
up Inlet Valley at a lower altitude. 1 was northbound, clearly not migrating. 1
was westbound, 3 were flying in clockwise curves, and 4 were flying
counter-clockwise, so who knows what they were doing, but they were fun to
watch.

This is from my notes:
1 S 0754. 5 S & 1 SW 0755. 1 CW 0802. 1 N 0809. 3 S 0816. 1 S 0819. 1 S 0831. 1
W 0832. 2 CW 0834. 4 CCW 0838. 2 SW 0839.

Yesterday I briefly scoped Cayuga Lake from A H Treman State Marine Park, and I
saw my first Common Loon of this fall on the southern part of the lake. This
bird was near the east side somewhere south of Portland Point, and I only saw
it above the shimmer because it briefly took a low curving flight, but it was
close enough that I could clearly see its big trailing splayed feet as it
prepared to hit the water. (I struggled with that verb. I don’t like to use “to
land” for a bird which not actually ending its flight onto land, but “alight”
sounds far too dainty for such a heavy projectile as a loon. Maybe I should say
it “ditched” like an airplane, even though the act was planned, routine, and
inconsequential.)

- - Dave Nutter