From: Archbold <philanthr...@archbold-station.org>
Date: December 3, 2021 at 8:30:31 AM EST
To: Donna Lee Scott <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject: $2 Million Gift to Archbold

[http://emailimages.nxt.blackbaud.com/emailimages/images/50024/1912559/88c26948-1b16-4527-bf24-f5e857635f73.png]

Above: John W. Fitzpatrick, Hilary Swain, Reed Bowman, Lela Love, Archbold
Expeditions, Inc. Chairperson
Below: K. Lisa Yang, photo curtesy of Cailtyn Cunningham, McGovern Institute

[K. Lisa Yang, Photo by Caitlin Cunningham, McGovern Institute]

 Archbold Receives $2 Million Dollar Endowment from K. Lisa Yang to Establish
the John W. Fitzpatrick Director of Avian Ecology

We are thrilled to share with you that philanthropist K. Lisa Yang has made a
most generous $2 million gift to Archbold, establishing the John W. Fitzpatrick
Director of Avian Ecology—our first
endowed position. Congratulations to
Dr. John Fitzpatrick, to be thus honored, and to Dr. Reed Bowman, who will be
the first John W. Fitzpatrick Director of Avian Ecology.

Venus, FL  Archbold Biological Station soars to new heights with generous gift
from philanthropist K. Lisa Yang establishing the John W. Fitzpatrick Director
of Avian Ecology.

The $2 million gift was recently announced to the Board of Directors and staff.
Dr. Hilary Swain, Archbold's Executive Director, was excited to share her
thoughts, "Our staff, board, and supporters are deeply touched by Lisa Yang’s
generous gift, which establishes the first endowed position at Archbold. Her
gift builds on Archbold's 50-year investment in Florida Scrub-Jay research,
which has advanced studies of animal behavior and ecology around the world. It
will generate annual funding that will enhance bird research at Archbold and
propel our science into the future. Long-term studies of animals constantly
transform, drawing from legacy data and new technologies across generations of
scientists. Lisa Yang's enduring gift will facilitate this evolution of
knowledge and bear future scientific fruits we cannot possibly foresee today."

The endowment honors Archbold's former Executive Director, current Board
member, and Research Associate Dr. John W. Fitzpatrick, who recently retired
after 26 years as Director of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. His lifetime
vision, passion for ornithology and conservation science, and inspired
leadership have earned him global recognition and countless awards and
accolades.

Since 1972, a significant part of Fitzpatrick's work has been studying the
behavior, ecology, and conservation genetics of the threatened Florida
Scrub-Jay together with colleagues at Archbold. He continues actively studying
scrub-jays with colleague and Avian Ecology Program Director, Dr. Reed Bowman.
Fitzpatrick noted, "I am thrilled and honored beyond words to have this program
directorship bear my name. Archbold Biological Station is among the most
important places in the world for me and my entire family."

Lisa Yang visited Archbold with Fitzpatrick in 2019. Witnessing the charismatic
Florida Scrub-Jays first-hand gave her a front-row seat to Archbold's
commitment to conservation and science and inspired her gift. She was
fascinated by the enduring nature of this work, the longest continuous study of
marked (banded) birds in North America. Bowman explains, "Traditional methods
such as bird banding, combined with new technology and techniques, such as DNA
sequencing and habitat mapping using drones, allow our research group to study
changes over decades, enhancing conservation of this threatened species."

Yang holds an M.B.A from Columbia University and a B.S. from Cornell
University, where she serves on the board of The Cornell Lab of
Ornithology<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826913&isbbox=1&pid=0>,
 is a Life Member of the Cornell University Trustee Council, and member of the
Dean’s Advisory Council for Cornell’s Industrial and Labor Relations
School<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826914&isbbox=1&pid=0>.
 Yang serves on the boards of Autism
Speaks<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826915&isbbox=1&pid=0>,
 The McGovern Institute for Brain
Research<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826916&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at MIT, The Devereux
Foundation<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826917&isbbox=1&pid=0>,
 the Stanford Neurodiversity Project Advisory
Board<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826918&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at Stanford University School of Medicine, is an active ambassador of the
Columbia University Graduate School of
Business<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826919&isbbox=1&pid=0>,
 and also sits on the Harvard Medical School Board of
Fellows<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826920&isbbox=1&pid=0>.
 A native of Singapore, Yang worked primarily in finance and Wall Street before
retiring in 2001 and now is a full-time private investor and active
philanthropist.

Investing in science, research, neurodiversity in the workplace initiatives,
and conservation is not new to Yang. Yang founded the K. Lisa Yang and Hock E.
Tan Employment and Disability
Institute<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826921&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at Cornell University (2015). She is the co-founder of the Hock E. Tan and K.
Lisa Yang Center for Autism
Research<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826922&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at MIT (2017) and a sister center at
Harvard<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826923&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 (2019), and K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Molecular Therapeutics
Center<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826924&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at MIT (2020). She also founded the K. Lisa Yang Bionics
Center<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826925&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at MIT (2021) and the K. Lisa Yang Integrative Computational Neuroscience
Center (ICoN
Center)<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826926&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 at MIT (2021). This year, Yang made a transformational gift of $24 million to
the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, establishing the K. Lisa Yang Center for
Conservation
Bioacoustics<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254826927&isbbox=1&pid=0>
 and its John W. Fitzpatrick
Directorship<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=256163200&isbbox=1&pid=0>.

Swain was delighted to announce that Dr. Reed Bowman will be the first John W.
Fitzpatrick Director of Avian Ecology at Archbold. Of the appointment, Swain
states, "It is thrilling to appoint Dr. Reed Bowman, who just celebrated
30-years of extraordinary service to Archbold, as the first recipient of this
named Directorship."

She added, "Today, we celebrate Lisa Yang for tying together the threads of her
philanthropic generosity in such a remarkable fashion. She loves birds. She
holds Dr. John Fitzpatrick in the highest esteem. She is committed to science
and technology. And she has a burgeoning interest in the work conducted by
Archbold. We offer Lisa our eternal gratitude, and we are excited that her
generosity will inspire others worldwide to support and sustain Archbold’s
work. Truly her gift to Archbold is a gift that will keep on giving: she
couldn’t be more inspirational."

Please visit our website for more information about Archbold and how you can
support our
mission.<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=34541120&srctid=1&erid=-2112809843&trid=1f90ea19-6b13-4c71-9c90-311222e4a817&linkid=254806446&isbbox=1&pid=0>

[https://prodsabbximgmn001blkbrdo.blob.core.windows.net/emailimages/images/50024/1746144/9cd76fab-e22a-446e-8fce-13730af766b0.png]
Privacy