A word about my recent post about the cranes on Olmstead Rd. I was going
thru the flock counting them one by one going right to left. I got to my
three hundredth bird with a handful more to count when the entire group
went airborne.  It was quite a raucous spectacle.....but left me with an
unfinished count. If I had to estimate I'd say there may have been 10 or 12
birds left to count that I was unable to count. Also I'm pretty sure the
number was even higher because there were birds down in a slough whose
heads would suddenly poke up unexpectedly amist the corn stubble.
I'm hoping they'll stay around the complex so someone can get an even more
accurate count.
For now, suffice it to say that our numbers grow with each passing season,
and that's a very good thing!
The word must be getting around the Crane nation (smile)
Pete Sar