Had a count of 207 as of 1 pm Colleen Richards

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Johnson, Alyssa" <alyssa.john...@audubon.org>
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Cranes on Olmstead right now
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:16:52 +0000

 As I send this I&rsquo;m looking at the herd (seems more fitting then flock
haha) from Olmstead Road (Savannah) just north of the old weathered formerly
red barn.  And to answer the question of &ldquo;how long do the cranes
stay?&rdquo; Here is an answer I sent to someone yesterday: We don&rsquo;t
really know! They haven&rsquo;t been in the area long enough, in my opinion, to
say they have &ldquo;typical&rdquo; habits and patterns. Last year we had the
high count around this time in December. There were still cranes in January,
although not as many. In February it snowed and got cold so the ground was
covered and frozen. They left, but the last day of Feb the weather had improved
and I saw 5 on Carncross Road. So it seems like as long as they have access to
the ground, they stay. And just for clarification, they aren&rsquo;t just at
Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. We see them in a variety of locations
throughout the Montezuma Wetlands Complex, including at the Knox Marsellus
Marsh, which is MNWR owned. But when I report them, I&rsquo;m seeing them on
private land off Armitage Road. We&rsquo;ve had them at the MAC before, as well
as on DEC lands, so they show up everywhere there is good resting and feeding
space. Alyssa Johnson Environmental Educator Montezuma Audubon Center
--Cayugabirds-L List Info:Welcome and BasicsRules and InformationSubscribe,
Configuration and LeaveArchives:The Mail ArchiveSurfbirdsBirdingOnThe.NetPlease
submit your observations to eBird!--

'Previously Withheld' JFK Documents Are Released
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/61ba6495ed85764953936st03duc1
Cops: Yard Sign May Have Set Off Instacart Driver
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/61ba64961e19e64953936st03duc2
Judge Tasered in His Own Courtroom
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/61ba6496405fd64953936st03duc3