Not in the basin, but several years ago one overwintered in Lodi, and
pre-eBird we had one at our feeder in Ovid very early one year - I can't
find the date for that right now but at that time we only put feed out
in winter and very early spring, generally not after mid-March.

Migration may be linked to food abundance. Bent reports in his species
summary
<https://www.birdzilla.com/birds/red-headed-woodpecker/bent-life-history.html>
(keep in mind this reflects ornithological practices of 120 yrs ago):
> Winter: The red-headed woodpecker is generally considered to be a
> migratory species throughout the northern portion of its breeding
> range, but its movements seem to depend almost entirely on the
> abundance or scarcity of its winter food supply, mainly acorns and
> beechnuts; when these nuts are available in considerable quantities,
> this woodpecker is to be found in reasonable numbers within its summer
> range in the northern States. When Dr. C. Hart Merriam (1878) referred
> to it as remaining occasionally in northern New York, Lewis County, in
> winter, some of his ornithological friends were skeptical. He says:
>
>     I therefore wrote to my friend, Mr. C. L. Bngg, asking him to send
>     me a lot of red-headed woodpeckers as soon as possible, and in a
>     week's time received a box containing over twenty specimens,: all
>     killed in Lewis County and when the snow was three feet deep! This
>     was proof positive. Notes kept by Mr. Bagg and myself during the
>     past six years show that they were abundant here during the
>     winters 1871: 72, 1873: 74, 1875: TO, and 1877: 78; while they
>     were rare or did not occur at all during the winters of 1872: 73
>     and 1876: 77. Their absence was in no way governed by the severity
>     of the winters, hut entirely dependent upon the absence of the
>     usual supply of beechnuts. While the greater portion of nuts fall
>     to the ground and are buried beneath the snow far beyond the reach
>     of the woodpeckers, yet enough remain on the trees all winter to
>     furnish abundant subsistence for those species which feed on them.

At least for us (Ovid, Seneca Basin), this was an average even below
average year for acorns, after a couple of years that were insanely
productive.  Our few beech trees seemed also to be average at best.
Would be interesting to know if that was different in the area around
Elm Street extension.