Hello, Can someone please explain how this population of Snow Geese we saw this
year is out of the ordinary over the long haul. Have human beings somehow
contributed to an overpopulation? Don't the populations always ebb and flow
depending on many factors?  thanks for any input, Meredith

On Mar 22, 2022, at 11:07 AM, Mary D <altai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Why was this really necessary?  The study and data referenced is 25 years old
and much has improved since then.  In an effort to reduce their numbers, many
states, including New York, allow spring hunting of Snow Geese for at least
over ten years, even though many are already carrying eggs.  In addition, these
'breathtaking' flocks give many people of all ages joy and provide a means for
many to start getting interested in birds and their causes that might not be
otherwise.

From: bounce-126421229-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-126421229-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Charles Rouse
<carous...@outlook.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 8:32 AM
To: 'eatonbirdingsoci...@groups.io' <eatonbirdingsoci...@groups.io>;
cayugabirds-L@Cornell.Edu <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Snow Geese - A Huge Problem

Greetings All,
For all of you who have been seeing the Snow Goose “breathtaking spectacle”
throughout the Finger Lakes area and think it’s just the coolest thing you’ve
ever seen – think again.
A number of years ago I attended a program at MNWR which focused on the
out-of-control Snow Goose population and the devastating effect they are having
the tundra where they breed. Bottom line is that Snow Geese are destroying the
ultra-fragile tundra, which is made up of primarily of lichens which grow
exceedingly slow. Snow Goose foraging behavior causes them to uproot the
lichens entirely rather than nip them off above ground, which results in a
Tundra desert.
I encourage everyone to Google: Trouble on the Tundra: Snow Geese Under The
Gun, by Howard Schneider, 1997. If this was a major concern 25 years ago,
imagine what the effect is today.

Charlie Rouse
Geneva, NY
Welcome and Basics