I was over on Armitage rd. the other day where the nestboxes are set
up for Prothonotary warblers and noticed the one that had fallen over
the winter was reinstalled (west side of the river). Unfortunately
however this private property has had some ditching/drainage work done
which is draining that swamp into the Clyde River. The ditch was
flowing steadily and I fear the swampy woods there will be drained in
no time, eliminating the habitat there for the Prothonotary warblers
as well as Northern waterthrush, Wood duck and a host of other
species. While these birds nest at other locations in the Montezuma
complex it is saddening that this place may no longer provide
wonderful opportunities to see these birds. I will try to find out
more information regarding the plan for the swamp but at this point it
doesn't look good.
Kyle Gage