The March meeting  of the Cayuga Bird Club will be Monday, March 13, 2023, at
7:30 pm at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology,    Our speaker, Alli Smith, will be
presenting "Behind the Scenes of Merlin Sound ID". The Merlin Bird ID app,
created by the Cornell lab of Ornithology, is a global field guide and a
powerful tool to help identify the birds around you. Sound ID, the newest
feature added to Merlin in Spring 2021, helps you identify 1,000+ bird species
by sound even when you can’t see them - but how does it work? We’ll
take a deep dive behind the scenes of Merlin to learn how Sound ID was
developed, and how you can help us expand Merlin to cover more species
worldwide. About the Speaker: Alli Smith is the Merlin Project Coordinator at
the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, where her work focuses on outreach and
supporting birders. She graduated from SUNY-ESF with a BS in Wildlife Science
in 2016 and has been bouncing around the bird conservation world since then,
including working with seabirds and managing citizen science monitoring
projects. Alli believes in the power of community to make a positive impact on
bird conservation, and is thrilled to be able to support birders worldwide with
the Merlin Bird ID app. There will be a speaker dinner before the meeting at
5:30 at Sumo Restaurant (Cayuga Mall on Triphammer Rd.). Please rsvp to Colleen
Richards, cl...@juno.com, by noon Mon., March 13.
 In-person meetings at the Lab of Ornithology start with cookies at 7 pm, the
reading of the bird list* at 7:25 pm, and club business at 7:30 pm, followed by
the speaker's presentation starting around 7:45 and ending by 9 pm. Colleen
Richards
Cayuga Bird Club
Corresponding Secretary
 * NOTE: For March, 2023, one of our standing agenda items -- the Reading of
the List -- will take place at 7:25, prior to the regular business meeting, to
safeguard the speakers' time while retaining a long standing tradition during
the more "social" and interactive time ahead of the business meeting. Cayuga
Bird Club meetings are held on the second Monday of each month, September
through June, and are free and open to the public.

  We will attempt to make presentations available virtually as a recording
posted a few days later.